Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Two Timing Mouse

You came home loose sketched 
calling me ‘honey’
with those large graphite grey eyes 
smudged mascara black  
and a cross hatch frown 
formed from a shaded glance down,

and yet it was the animated sadness 
in the corners of your mouth 
that outlined some deceit 
in such an intricately hand tinted sorrow.

I’m sorry I found it so funny,
but you did sound like Minnie Mouse,
I’m sure at one point 
you even said Mickey had found out
as you tried to cling to me; 
end of the world close.

Although I admired that you could sob 
so enthusiastically 
without depth, 
bubbles of pain effervescing 
above your doleful head,
but you always were 
a dimension short of being loving.

Time to confess
that you’re not so skilled in multitasking.
You couldn’t cry and talk simultaneously
you tried,
but it just blabbered out 
in fizzy snot and squeaky noises
as you acted out a cat and mouse charade
in a polka dot dress.


© 2006  P.A.Levy
First published by Aireings 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment