Friday, July 17, 2020



Gateways and Colourways

I’ll meet you under the monkey puzzle tree
and we can drink a can or two
smoke some weed, draw the world
then paint it by our own invented numbers.

I think we should spray-paint
the pampas grass this year, bright purple
to clash with the schemes of these houses
I detest that everything is colour co-ordinated
in this part of town.

I remember that time when we swapped
all the front gates around, and in the morning
they all came out dressed in their designer daywear;
speechless as in horror show,
bewildered as in scratching their heads and their arses.

But at least they actually talked to each other,
albeit meaningless dribble; lawns and weather,
haute couture mannequin expressions,
and can I have my gate back please,
sorry, and thank you,
and so very nice to meet you at last.

I still don’t see why they had to phone
those silly boys in blue, no one was harmed
and nothing was damaged.
So what if we unhinged a few gateways
onto different horizons,
we weren't the ones promising false yellow.

We glitter; discarded sequins snagged
on the white nylon lace frou frou of suburbia.
So God bless the Queen,
the neat green hedges, the Daily Mail
and the pretty pink maids all in a row.
From the best china service
ladies that lunch sip magnolia opinions
(do have another slice of angel cake)
never mentioning the home-made
Shakespearian dramas,
or the empty milkbottles stranded on doorsteps
with castaway messages beginning:
‘to my darling milkman’.


© 2007 P.A.Levy
First published by Open Wide Magazine 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment